Thursday, June 05, 2008

Proud moments

Both Barrett and Gracen had great years this year. Every year has been pretty good, but this one was exceptional. Both of them got commended on all their "dreaded" TAKS tests and both made the honor roll the entire year. Then, a few days before school was out, I got a call from the counselor @ deZavala telling me that both my kids were getting "big" awards this year, so I needed to be sure and attend the Awards Ceremony. Which I always do, but they usually don't get recognized that much except for attendance and honor roll, so I was expecting this year to be about the same. She wouldn't tell me what the awards were, just that they were major awards and that we both needed to be there. I was really glad Barrett would be getting an award this year. It seems like the last few years, he manages to get in trouble right at the very end of the year, so he doesn't get an award. (Not anything major, just enough not to get an award. For instance, last year, one of his friends was "sagging" and Barrett decided it would be funny to pull his pants down. Even though it was kind of funny, his principal didn't think so. So...no award for Barrett last year) Anyway, for 7th & 8th grade there are 2 major awards that are teacher nominated based on character, grades, participation etc, etc: 1)Way of the Wolf 2) Leader of the Pack (the wolf is our mascot, so everything has a wolf theme) Well, Gracen got Way of the Wolf for 7th grade! She was so surprised, the look on her face was priceless! and Barrett got Leader of the Pack for 8th grade and also was a nominee for the Lamar Lively award. It was so fun to watch them, because neither one of them knew they were getting anything. Lon & I were so proud, especially when the teachers told us that their selections were unanimous. The principal told us "We don't take these awards lightly, and for one family to receive the 2 biggest awards, well, that is a big deal." I hope it doesn't sound like I'm bragging too much, like I said, usually my kids don't get many awards. In athletics, they are both good, but not studs, so the athletic awards always go to others. In academics, they both make excellent grades, especially Gracen, so they usually get the honor roll awards, but that about it. And artistically, like singing or acting, well, not gonna happen. Not much musical talent in this family! So, it was a good night in the Packard family.

4 comments:

Arlene Kasselman said...

How fabulous is this! Those awards mean so much more than just skill - I love that. This is about who they are as people. Awesome!

susan said...

Thanks Arlene. You are so sweet. BTW, would you let Steven know that he/they are so missed!

Arlene Kasselman said...

I will do or you can put it on his facebook. He has not blogged much!

Unknown said...

Way to go Barrett and Gracen!! I am soooo proud of them! You know they are such good kids, and unfortunately it seems like good kids fall through the cracks most of the time in the awards department. I know that they were excited and very proud them selves! And no, Susan, you can never brag on your kids too much!! Tell them "way to go" for us!