Thursday, June 05, 2008

Freshman orientation?????

OK...the last day of school was pretty emotional for me, it being Barrett's last day of middle school. I literally just sat there and bawled. His first day of 1st grade @ Woodlands is tattooed on my memory. I remember us walking in together, his little hand in mine. This was his second new school in 2 years. He went to Kindergarten @ Paramount Terrace, then we built our house out here, so he started first grade @ Woodlands. Naturally, he was a little scared, but he was so brave, walking right in and making his first friend, Cooper Jones. I cried that day too. I freely admit to being an emotional wreck when it comes to my kid's "firsts" & "lasts". I know it is a cliche, but where did the time go? The other day when he got in the car on his last day @ dZ and he saw me crying, he laughed at me & said 'Oh Mama, don't cry, it'll be OK' as he patted me on the shoulder. We then went to Blue Sky and had a great lunch together to celebrate the last day of school. (Gracen had gone to a swimming party) Then a few days ago, I open the mail and there is a flyer for Freshman Orientation @ Tascosa! That about took me to my knees! Just seeing it in print, there's a certainty about it...it really is here. But I'm not the only one struggling. Lon is realizing that he is coaching his last baseball games this weekend. We formed the "Mudcats" 6yrs ago when the boys were just 8 and now that time is coming to a close and I think it is going to be harder for old Dad than he imagined. It will be so weird not to be the Mudcats anymore. Lots of memories.

No comments: