Thursday, April 10, 2008

A reminder.....

I posted about a year ago that track blows goats. Well, I was reminded yesterday that it still does, even more so than I originally thought! If you don't live in Amarillo, allow me to set the scene......45 degrees, overcast, wind/rain blowing about 15 to 20 mph. I just knew they would cancel the whole thing......WRONG!! I got my hopes up when Gracen called me to say all field events had been cancelled (she throws shot & discus) YEA!!! But the track events were going ahead as scheduled.....bummer. So, I took my blanket and headed out to Dick Bivins Stadium. Barrett was running the 2400 (mileand a half--gross) and the 1600 (mile--also gross), but even worse was the 2400 was the very first event, at around 3:30 and the 1600 was almost last at 7:30......for those of you keeping count thats FOUR hours sitting freezing my rear off. But at least I had a blanket, I felt so sorry for those kids, they looked miserable! Oh, and did I mention that the misty rain that was falling caused the hairspray in my hair to cement into a lovely brown football helmet!! (ie--Steel Magnolias) Yeah, I was lookin pretty good when I left there. You know, if my kids enjoyed it, I would sit out there all day and not make a peep. But they both hate it. Last year, Barrett kind of liked it and was pretty successful at it, he really liked those long distances. But, this year he is about 5in taller and probably weighs 20-25 lbs more. He has really gone through a growth spurt in the last year and has filled out alot. Consequently, he's not as aerodynamic as he used to be :-) Still, he finished 5th place in the 2400 out of about 20 kids, not bad. Like I said, Gracen does the shot and discus and shes actually not too bad at it, she just doesn't like it. Totally don't blame her. But, since they go to the smallest middle school in Ama, they really need everyone to participate in track & field. Thank goodness it's almost over and then we'll only have one more year of track. (Which I'm sure will continue to blow goats next year as well!!)

1 comment:

Arlene Kasselman said...

I am so glad that I now know what the expression means!