Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Great book!!

I just finished a book called---same kind of different as me (ron hall & denver moore) I can't recommend it highly enough. Although, one caveat, bring your kleenex. Don't let that put you off though. It is a fairly short book and a quick read. It is a true story about a Christian couple trying to make a difference in the lives of the homeless in downtown Ft. Worth. It was really meaningful to me, considering Lon's mom spent the last 30 yrs of her life, serving those very people at Faith City Mission in Amarillo. It dispenses with alot of fears and stereotypes people have about homeless people ( probably confirms some too) and (for me at least) made me take a second look at my own biases. Check it out, you won't be sorry. The book I'm about to start now is called Isaac's Storm. It is the story of Isaac Cline, who was one of the early meteorologists with the NWS at the turn of the 20th century in Galveston. It chronicles the 1900 Galveston Hurricane, still the deadliest natural disaster in our nations history. Needless to say, I have very eclectic reading tastes.

2 comments:

Arlene Kasselman said...

Susan I hear it is an incredible read. Did you know they were the guest speakers at the Beans and Cornbread lunch here in Amarillo a few months ago.

susan said...

Oh my gosh! No, I didn't. But, at that point, I did not know anything about them. Oh man, that would've been great. It is absolutely a great read, not to mention gut wrenching, emotional, uplifting...you name it.