Tuesday, August 28, 2007

First day of school

The first day of school 07-08 came and went pretty uneventfully. Both Barrett & Gracen seem to be impressed with their teachers. Gracen declared that she didn't think there was a mean one in the bunch! (So, she's got that going for her :-) Even though I dread school starting, it was nice to have the day to try to get my house back in order after the chaos of summer. Both kids are in athletics (Barrett in 8th gr & Gracen in 7th) so I guess our days of Kids Inc. are behind us now. I never thought I would say this, but that makes me a little sad. Gracen was a bundle of nerves for the first day, since it was also the first day of a 2wk process of trying out for the volleyball team. Even though she is great player, her confidence is a little shaky. She was just convinced that there would be tons of transfer students that were all awesome v-ball players and she wouln't make the team. That, thankfully, didn't turn out to be the case. There are quite a few transfers, but I would stack Gracie's v-ball skills against theirs any day. Now her concern is that she will be on the silver team while all her friends will be on the gold. I'm telling you, the kid has no confidence, and I can talk til I'm blue in the face about how great a player she is and it goes in one ear and out the other. Personally, I think it wouldn't be such a bad thing to be on the silver team, she would get more playing time. It will all work out for the best, I'm sure.
Barrett will be on the football team again this year. Last year, he broke his arm the first game and was out until the very end. I'm secretly hoping that this will be his last year to play football. He just doesn't have the size or speed and I'm afraid he is going to get seriously injured. But, I'm just Mom, what do I know? Right now, in middle school, being on the football team is the be all, end all, and if you're not on the team, you're just a total dork. Middle school......gosh, I don't miss that time of life.
BTW, I forgot to mention that as a surprise for Gracen, I bought "Hannah Montana" concert tickets for Dec in OKC. I know, I know, what was I thinking? Right? The things we will go through for our kids. First of all, HM tkts are not that easy to come by. I read on the internet that all the venues were selling out in less than an hr. So, I went online to get tkts for the OKC concert, but, in order to be able to "pre-buy" them before they went on sale to the unwashed masses, you had to become a premium member of "mileyworld.com" for the low, low price of $29.95, then, and ONLY then, you can have the priviledge of paying $55 each for a prized ticket!! What a racket!! I think I will get a cheesy wig and slap it on Gracen and proclaim her "Alexis Texas", add some boots and sequins and see if Disney will give her her own show and then we can go on tour and rake in millions and millions from 'tween girls and their stupid mothers who will shell out hundreds of dollars and travel hundreds of miles for the priviledge of sitting in the nose-bleed section with a pair of binoculars! (but I'm not bitter or anything!! :-) I guess I should consider myself lucky, I've heard on e-bay the tickets are going for as much as $500! I may be stupid, but not THAT stupid! The one consolation I get from all this is that I know Gracen will be thrilled and it will be a great pre-Christmas surprise. Whew!! I feel much better after venting that out!

No comments: