Monday, January 07, 2008

Happy Birthday Barrett!!

Barrett turned 14 this morning @ 6:27. In some ways, it seems like I blinked my eyes and here we are 14yrs later. And in other ways that seems like a lifetime ago. Approx. 6 wks before Barrett was born, Lon's dad, Loren passed away in the hospice after a battle with cancer. So, for the most part, when I remember my pregnancy, I remember being sad. Lon & I had prayed so fervently that Loren would live long enough to see his 16th grandchild, but it was not to be. Loren passed away in November 1993. Also, in October 1993, one of our dear friend's father committed suicide. She was pregnant, too. Her son was born a couple of months after Barrett. Then, in December 93, a friend I had grown up with, who had been my best friend in gradeschool, passed away from an unknown illness. She was buried in early Jan. 94, a few days before Barrett was born. She was only 29. It just seemed like the main thing I used my maternity clothes for was to attend funerals. There were some happy times, too. The day after Loren's funeral, on December 1st, 1993, my nephew Corbin, was born. To this day, he is Barrett's best friend, they are more like brothers than cousins. And, also on that day, we closed on our first home. It was so exciting to be in our own home right before our first child was born. We had many happy times in that house. I still miss it sometimes and drive by often. Anyway, the day of Barrett's birth didn't go exactly as planned. (Do they ever?) His heart beat starting going down with every contraction, so they decided to deliver him by C-section, and at 6:27 am, Barrett McKee was born with the cord wrapped around his neck and looking like the bluest little smurf you ever saw. Thank goodness we did the C-section when we did, but he recovered within minutes and was fine. It was a happy day in the Packard family for once. Lon's mother, Donna, was there. She was absolutely crazy about babies. She called them her "itty bitties". And this particular "itty bitty" was her baby's baby. (Lon is the youngest of 7!!!) Sadly, she passed away, also from cancer, when Barrett was 2. So, as I'm thumbing thru the scrapbook, those pics of her at the hospital, after his birth, are extra special. It's so funny, everybody looks so young in these pictures, especially Lon!! Also, my sister-in-law--Luain looked so young (not that she looks old now, not at all, she still looks great!) but we all just looked so young. Luain was one of the first ones to see Barrett, because she worked at the hospital. Anyway, there was lots of family there and it was a memorable time. And now, here we are 14 yrs later. Even though I miss those sweet baby times, I have enjoyed every stage with my kids. It is so much fun now to relate to them on a more adult level. Their sense of humor and personalities are so much fun. Just when you think you have them figured out, they develop a new "wrinkle" in their personality. Well, God has been good to us in the last 14 yrs. We are blessed. Happy Birthday, Barrett. We love you so much.

3 comments:

Arlene Kasselman said...

Barrett
happy b-day! Enjoy.

Unknown said...

Hey Susan!
Glad you clarified that - even tho' I looked so young then, I don't look so old now - ha! I remember that day vividly - as soon as I got to work, they told me you were upstairs and off I went to meet my nephew - great memories! I love your family!
"Aunt Wanie"

The Core/Old School said...

susan, we enjoyed reading your posts! hope barrett had a good bday. yall have a great week. keep the posts coming!

familytullos