Monday, May 21, 2007

WEINER NATIONALS!!!

For the first time this year, (I've wanted to do it for several years) we entered our dog "Maizie" in the Weiner National Weenie Dog race. Now, if you've never witnessed a weenie dog race, that is something you have GOT to put on your to-do list. That was the funniest thing ever! I've never seen so many weenie dogs in one place! Although, there were a few that I would question their "weenie dog" pedigree. None the less, it was a blast. Maizie was racing in the 8th heat (there were 8 heats with 6-8 dogs per heat). Lon said there was no way she would know what to do and laughed at me for even entering her. Well, let me just say, she didn't know what to do, but she was not alone in that regard!! Most of the dogs ran out of the starting gate and started sniffing each others butts! Some jumped over the rope and ran amok in the crowd. Some, however, were highly trained and knew exactly what to do. There were some owners that were VERY serious about the race. (The winner got a trip to San Diego to compete at the national level during the Holiday Bowl) But, I was so proud of Maizie, she came out of the gate a little slow, doing the butt sniffing thing but then here she came ambling (not running mind you) towards me at the finish line and I thought she was going to win her heat for sure and at the last minute this little long haired weenie came racing past her, so she got second in her heat, not bad for a first try. At the finish line, she went to a total stranger and rolled over on her back at the lady's feet. It was hilarious! Those people are very serious about it though, there was a lady standing next to me at the finish line that was screaming cuss words because she thought the people near the starting line were distracting her dog! Oh well, we'll have to train for next year. "She coulda been a contenda!"

3 comments:

Arlene Kasselman said...

You are teaching me all kinds of stuff, friend. We are thinking of getting a weiner dog sometime. My brother has one and the kids love him. We want a nice, calm, easy to deal with one...

susan said...

Arlene, they are great dogs. However, we have had 2 and both have been very hard to housebreak. But, I took a course at Petsmart about a year ago, on housebreaking, and if we had done it right to begin with, it wouldn't have taken as long. So, I would recommend doing that. And, calm? well, thats not the first word that pops into my mind. She is the sweetest thing in the world and the kids absolutely LOVE her, but she still goes beserk every time someone comes over, which causes an outbreak of "nervous tinkling". But it is only a couple of drops and is easily cleaned up. Actually, I can't think of any small breed dog that is that calm. When I think of a calm breed, I think of Shelties, Goldens, Great Dane, etc. So....I absolutely love this dog and wouldn't trade her for anything in the world. She has some really endearing personality traits. But, would I get another of the same breed, if something happened to her?---Not sure.

Arlene Kasselman said...

That helps. I knew that my brothers one way odd - he is so chilled and easy going that I really want to "dog-nap" him.